A Sense of Place, A Sense of Beauty
In addition to collecting and displaying splendid works of locally connected art, the Okayama Prefectural Museum of Art also holds workshops and exhibitions both at the museum and other sites that showcase our activities in the art world.
We are an "art museum created in concert with the people of Okayama", committed to contributing to the development of local art culture as a place to “create, learn, gather, protect and connect.”
History of the Okayama Prefectural Art Museum
1980 Meetings held regarding utilization of the Tenjinyama district and fund established to create cultural facilities in the district.
1985 Opening of the Museum Preparatory Office.
1987 Construction of the Okayama Prefectural Museum of Art completed.
1988 Okayama Prefectural Museum of Art opened to the public.
1996 Received Agency for Cultural Affairs authorization to exhibit designated National Treasures and Important Cultural Properties.
Connections with Okayama Prefecture
Our event schedule provides more ways to deepen your art appreciation. See the museum website, pamphlets or reception staff for information on what is happening this month.
Art Museum Lectures by Curators
Monthly, 90 mins, free.
6 pm to 7 pm on the last Friday of every month
The museum is open until 7 pm and curators conduct gallery talks in both collection and special exhibition galleries.
Advance bookings not required, admission tickets required.
Hands-on opportunities to become more directly involved with art.
Volunteer-led Gallery Talks
11 am and 1 pm every Saturday, Sunday and on Public Holidays
Volunteers introduce works in the “Okayama Art” exhibit.
No booking required, admission tickets required, 30-60 mins.
2 pm on the 3rd Sunday of every month
Tours that encourage visitor discussion with the guide staff.
No booking required, admission tickets required, approx. 50 mins.
School and Group Tours
Advanced booking required. For details, please see our website or contact museum staff.
- Opening Hours:
- - 9 am to 5 pm (entry until 4.30 pm)
Open until 7 pm (entry until 6:30 pm on “Art Evenings” and designated events).
The Hall is open 9 am until 9 pm
- Days Closed:
- - Mondays (Tuesday, if a public holiday falls on Monday)
Year End and New Year holidays and during exhibition changes
- Admission Fees :
"Okayama Art" Exhibit (Collection galleries) Individual Groups (20 or more) Adults 350 yen 280 yen University / College Students 250 yen 200 yen Elementary to Senior High School Students Free Free Over 65 yrs 170 yen 140 yen
The following people receive free admission to the Okayama Art exhibit.
- ”Momokko” card holders (only on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays, families with elementary school aged children or younger receive free admission for the entire family)
- Disability certificate holders (includes one attendant)
- Foreign exchange students currently attending a school in Okayama Prefecture (student ID required)
Admission Fees for Special Exhibitions and Thematic Exhibitions
Varies by exhibition.
* Please do not touch exhibits.
* Please refrain from reproducing art works. Use of fountain pens, painting brushes or cameras is forbidden in display areas.
* Please refrain from smoking, eating, or drinking except in designated areas.